Friday, April 11, 2008

This calls for a revolution!!!

WARNING: EXTREME RANTING AHEAD.

Wow, I found out that some lady has been telling my older sister some shit.

"Your SPM results were okay la, but your younger sister....not up to everyone's expectations la..so now she has to live with that. Your parents depend on both of you so now it's up to you to work hard y'know? Don't be like your younger sister okay?"

Wadafak??!!

I don't know who that lady is(cuz' my sis ain't telling),but knowing that she said something like that pisses me off..she's even supposed to be a frequent visitor to my house.

Okay..okay..I know I seriously screwed up my SPM, really badly. I was distracted, unfocused, unmotivated, stubborn, undisciplined, yes, and maybe even more! But just cause I've been doin' pretty well all this while since primary school and I chose a bad time to mess up doesn't mean that you can start goin' around acting like I'm doomed to be a failure for all eternity!!!

And what's up with all that "now it's up to you to work extra hard because of your sister's mistake" nonsense?? My older sister is my older sister..she has a life of her own for heaven sakes. And I don't think that lady realises what kind of pressure she's putting on my sister. It is really unnecessary, thank you!!

Maybe I'm not in the position to say this, but I'll say it anyway..

Nowadays, society is such that we are gauged by our academic achievements. The more A's the better right?? HAHAH. I really admire those who scored straight A's for their SPM and those Harvard students and what not's, hats off to all of them. But hey, how about those other students who failed 5 papers and couldn't score even a C? I know a guy whose like that. He grew up a pretty bad environment, his house is crammed for a family of 6 and his parents probably aren't the best role models when it came to doin' good in school. He didn't mix with the most hardworking people and flunking exams and skipping class was a ritual to him. Don't society look down on people like that?

So, after leaving school, we're all like "I wanna get a good job so I can earn money quick! So I won't burden my parents so much and so that I can get that car that I've been dreaming to get for the last two years." Me too, okay? But this dude here flunked his SPM, and now he's working full-time in a handphone repair shop. He does overtime and boy, does he get paid for it! He's even planing to open a handphone retail and repair shop with his friend soon.

It definitely doesn't sound as glamorous as becoming a doctor or a lawyer, but while we're still studying, he'll be churning in money day by day. It's a big achievement for a fresh school-leaver. But does society recognise this? You'd need a degree or a masters to get their attention.

Okay, what I'm saying here is, we all have our own dreams, our personal goals. It may sound small to others, to the world, nevertheless, it brings joy to us. Our current society may not agree that what you're gonna do will promise success, but how would they know, that there is another world beyond theirs, a world that will recognise your achievement where the people will applaud and cheer for you as you strive to make your dreams come true? That world is not that far away. If you search, look and listen, you will realise that it's always been there. Unfortunately, our society still cannot see beyond the hedge. And they may never look past it. Well, that's just too bad then.

I'm not saying all this to make myself feel better because of my crappy SPM results. I'm not cut out to be a professional, because that's not where my heart lies at, I DON'T want to look into people's mouth everyday to earn a living, but I DO want success and happiness too. No matter what we do, we're all the same that way. We wanna enjoy what we do, and we wanna earn big bucks doin' it ( Although earning big bucks is not really part of my dream, but what the heck, it'd be nice too ). So, I'll brave myself to walk on the road less taken. I will work extra hard and I don't care what those people have to say about me. Because they may never understand why I do it. And that may actually turn out to be a good thing someday. Whether I really become successful in the future, is a different story entirely. At least I know that I tried my best to do what I believe in, and at the very least, I won't have any regrets about that.

If this entry offends you, I'm sorry for the unhappiness I caused. I am merely expressing my opinions on certain issues. If you don't like what you see.....erm....I'd really prefer it if you to express your opinions tactfully or just keep them to yourself. And thank you very much for listening to my ranting.

6 comments:

yoke heng said...

I definitely agree with u!!! If only i have the chance to take up animation or manga courses...i'll be indulged in drawing right now.

Armedius said...

Lolz!! Well, you're stronger than me in the sense that you were determined to take and complete a different course! You can still pursue art later, but I just cn't wait...XD

Zi Yang said...

Decent post. Well, WE are the ones who decide our way of life, regardless of what others say. Wishing you all the best!

Willy said...

haha,you are sooooooooooooooo right!!!那个女人很可恶!!虽然你的成绩不是很好,但是你有其他的长处,例如画画(我最不会画画!!哈哈!!加油!!不要被看底!!

Armedius said...

Zi yang> Ah! Thank you for the support! Yes, I agree, we choose our path!! thank you thank you!

Willy> Yeah! Xie xie!!

Peter Khue said...

I AGREE!!!!

And you are so darn right :)
No matter what are you doing, be it working or studying, I truly believe that the most important thing is to choose something that we like. No matter how tough the road ahead us might be, nothing will ever outweigh the happiness and self-satisfaction that you've achieved in return :)