Monday, April 21, 2008

I've got nothing to say...Zetsubou shita!!!

Wow, my life's getting more and more dull~I can't update anymore!!!

Well, I took my driving test today, and I failed the "inside" test. All because I banged one of the polls with the side mirror. Sigh...oh well, I'm sure I'll drive better with auto cars!!! Grrr...

And anime..hmm..I'd like to recommend a series called "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei"(Goodbye Mr. Despair) which is based on a manga created by Kohji Kumeta!! It's one of the most entertaining anime series I've seen so far, with it's unpredictable plot and weird characters. The genre is comedy (mostly dark comedy, I've developed a liking for this kinda stuff XP, it's gets kinda vulgar too sometimes, hehe, not for the kiddies) and it's a shounen anime (although it doesn't have the stereotypical shounen elements eg. awesome fighting scenes and the oh so cliche "I've got to fight to protect someone " theme, which is pretty refreshing for a change).


The main cast of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Summary:

"Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" revolves around a very pessimistic high school teacher named Nozomu Itoshiki who, at the very beginning of the series, tries to hang himself on a sakura tree. Despite this effort of self-destruction, he is saved by an extremely optimistic girl known only as Kafuka Fuura (it should be noted, however, that in her effort to save his life, she almost kills him, haha, yea, seriously). She explains to him that it is simply unforgivable to hang himself on such a nice day, especially in front of such beautiful trees. She decides to nickname Nozomu "Pink Supervisor" (桃色係長, Momoiro Kakarichō?), and offers to pay him fifty yen to call him by that nickname. After having enough of the strange girl, Nozomu bolts to the school and starts his homeroom class, but the attempt to escape was in vain as he finds that the girl is one of his students. Not only that, but Kafuka is just the tip of the iceberg: each and every student in his class presents a new personality quirk or bizarre obsession, posing challenges that the suicidally-inclined teacher must overcome in spite of himself.




The opening scenes (the girl is Kafuka)


The many faces of dear Itoshiki sensei, the main character of this series


Lolz, random snapshot from the opening theme


Illustration from the manga


Haha, a slightly disturbing picture of Itoshiki sensei attempting to hang himself

Interesting summary right? The show is amazingly random but surprisingly thought provoking as Nozomu sensei(a.k.a Zetsubou sensei because his surname "Itoshiki" resembles "zetsubō" (絶望,despair) when written horizontally ) takes all aspects of life, language and culture in the most negative light possible. Despite his pessimistic behaviour, you are bound to find him, somehow, terribly likable. Not that it's a bad thing of course. XP Also his tag line "Zetsubou shita~!!"(I'm in despair~!!) never fails to tickle me, haha, maybe it's just me, but you should go check it out!!

This anime series is actually relatively old, the first season was released last year, and they just started airing the second season "Zoku (extreme) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" this January. And I'm telling you, the second season is just as good, if not, better than the first season!


Illustration for Season 2

You can get the manga from One Manga but you'll have to read it online. The anime series is avaible in Crunchyroll and Youtube. If you've seen it let me know what you think about it! ^^

No comments: